What the customer needed
The essays were written, a varied range of illustrations were available – the rest was up to us.
What we did
After taking a detailed brief from the customer, we provided them with all the information and examples of materials they needed to make an informed decision.
Once they were happy with what we proposed, we went ahead to design, print and bind 400 copies of the book, for distribution to academic institutions and colleagues in the field.
A sturdy, elegant and well-designed book, doing justice to the carefully researched and thoughtful contents, and enabling the essays to make their proper contribution to the history of science.
Let us help you
For further information on how we can help you with your book production contact us today!
The Process and Technical Specifications:
- Rimes House Oxford
- ESSAYS in medical biography, J.T. Hughes
- 400 copies
- 243 x 175mm Portrait
- 216 pages
- Case bound
- Wrap jackets
- Met with customer to discuss specification, to include size, paper samples, binding style, book cloth, blocking, create specification, copy fit from approximate word count and number of images supplied to work out number of pages.
- Estimated cost of production.
- Provided estimate in writing to customer.
- Collected order, manuscript, digital copy and photographic prints.
- Created works instruction ticket and instruct typesetting department.
- OCR manuscript supplied for some articles.
- Converted copy supplied from word processor file supplied in digital format.
- Designed page layouts and provide proofs of various options.
- Supplied galley proofs typeset in chosen style.
- Made amendments to text from proof read galleys.
- Made-up pages.
- Scanned and placed monochrome images from photographic prints supplied.
- Supplied page proofs.
- Made amendments as required from proof read pages.
- Provided concepts for dust jacket design to include choosing cover image.
- Created artwork of chosen cover design and supplied colour proof for approval.
- Set type for blocking in spine, provided proof, on approval created print files of artwork.
- Imposed pages as 13 x 16 page sections to print sheet work on 520 x 720mm and 1 x 8 page section to print work and turn on 520 x 720mm. Made metal litho plates on Heidelberg Topsetter CTP system.
- Dust jacket worked to print 1-up (single sided) on 450 x 640mm.
- Litho printed text in black only throughout on Sakurai 575 SD press.
- Litho printed dust jacket in black and Pantone 335 one side only on Sakurai 575 SD press.
- Text paper silk art 130gsm. Dust jacket silk art 170gsm.
- Gloss film laminate printed side only of dust jacket. Guillotine trimmed to size.
- Folded text as 13 x 16 page sections and 1 x 8 imposed as the penultimate section.
- Attached plain end papers to first and last sections, gathered into book blocks, section sew, sulby line, trim white ages, made cases, 3mm grey boards, bound, Wilbalin Buckram emboss, make blocking die, silver foil blocked on spine, French joints, case inpack into kraft parcels.
- Delivered to customer in Holywell Press van.